It all started when I wanted to check the consistency of the balsamic reduction that had been softly simmering for about 45 minutes. The fun began on the plate . The cauliflower was being cooked with some cumin and nigella seeds.
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into flowerettes, washed and drained
1 teaspoon nigella seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon sumac
Salt to taste
3 tablespoons avocado oil
1 tablespoon balsamic reduction
- Heat a large pan . Add the oil.
- Add the cumin and nigella and toast on low heat till you hear the snap, crackle , pop!
- Add the cauliflower , sumac and turmeric powder. Stir well to coat all the pieces.
- Cook the cauliflower covered , on medium low heat till tender, stirring a few times. (10-15 minutes)
- Serve drizzled with the balsamic reduction .
This dish tastes great. The smoky taste of the cumin is balanced with the slight bitter of nigella and there is nice fruity tang from the balsamic and sumac. This is Indian flavor with a California attitude.
You will taste the Earth, the Sun, the Moon and the Stars !