1 cup Basmati rice, rinsed and strained
1 medium ,yellow onion, peeled , sliced fine
3 cups cooked Chana dal ( Bengal Gram lentils ) substitute split peas, garbanzo or black eye peas
1 small cauliflower, prepped into small flowerettes
1/2 bunch cilantro , washed, chopped, for garnish
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
3 tablespoons ghee or oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
8-10 curry leaves
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
2 dried red chilies ( optional )
1 large lemon , juiced
Salt to taste
2 cups water, hot
- Heat a Dutch oven. Add ghee and temper spices in sequence starting with the whole chilies, mustard, cumin and fenugreek.
- Toast in ghee till for 2-3 minutes till they snap, crackle and pop!
- Add curry leaves and turmeric. Then add the onions and ginger and sauté for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté it with the mixture for about two minutes .
- Now add the cooked lentils, cauliflower , salt and the hot water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer till water is almost absorbed.( 10-15 minutes)
- Cover tightly. Shut the heat and do not open the pot for 30 minutes.
- Fluff the mixture and finish off with the lemon juice and cilantro!
Enjoy with cucumber raita, papad and favorite Indian pickle.