Indian tastes are always inspired by the tempered spices !
On this day I used
- 2 cups cooked steel cut oats ( cooked pilaf style )
- 1/4 cup raw peanuts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric fresh, chopped ( powder is just fine )
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger fresh chopped
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil or fat of your choice
- 2-3 jalapeños ( optional)
- Cook steel cut oats . I cooked this pilaf style , using the ratio 1:2 oats : water or stock.
- Heat oil in a suitable size pan. Add the whole spices( mustard, fenugreek, cumin). Toast a minute or less till light golden. Add peanuts. Toast 5-6 minutes till cooked. Keep heat medium low.
- Add asafetida , curry leaves. Cook a minute. Add raisins and chopped ginger and turmeric and jalapeños .
- Add the cooked oats. Stir to mix thoroughly. Season with salt. Add the lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- This is an intuitive recipe . Cooked by balancing tastes and ingredients on hand. You can customize it to your liking.
Enjoy! May your day be spiced with love .